If your Enfield rental property is a little older, you may be worried about attracting quality tenants. This is certainly true if you have newer rental homes in your local market. It may be tough for an older home to compete against newer ones, especially if it lacks essential updates. Providentially, there are several things that you can do to help your older rental home look more modern and maintain that strong appeal. Actually, with a bit of time and some money, you can give your rental home a modern makeover that will not only allow you to attract tenants but may boost your property values, too. Here’s our list of effective approaches to make your older rental home look modern.
- Go Bright. The modern look and feel are all about light and space. To enhance your rental’s interiors look, use light, neutral paint for walls and trim with bursts of bright color as accents. Just don’t settle for too many colors at once – a single accent door or wall is typically all you’ll need.
- Open It Up. If your older rental home has a lot of walls dividing the main living areas, try to dismantle one or more of them. Modern home design is more open-concept, with vast living areas that flow from space to space. Simply removing a wall between the kitchen and dining room, as an instance, can make your rental feel more open and modern inside.
- Upgrade Cabinet Hardware and Faucets. In the kitchen, a quick upgrade that can help modernize the room is to replace cabinet hardware and the faucet. Clean, bright lines in your cabinet handles and faucets can make a great difference in the look and feel of the kitchen.
- Remove Popcorn Ceilings. If your rental property seems to have a popcorn ceiling inside, it’s advisable to remove it. Popcorn ceilings were popular at one time, but now they instantly date a rental home’s interior. Choose a smooth neutral finish on your rental’s ceilings as another option.
- Opt-Out of Carpet. Another great option to modernize an older rental is to replace carpeted floors with hard surface flooring, such as sturdy wood-look vinyl planks. Vinyl planks are not more expensive compared to carpet and will most likely last much longer than carpet, anyway. What is more, it will help your rental’s interior rooms feel more open and airy, which is the essence of modern design.
- Upgrade Outlets and Lights. Unappealing or old-fashioned electrical outlets and light fixtures can make your rental look horrible. By just replacing both with new, modern styles, you can upgrade the contemporary look of any room.
- New Doors. Your rental doors are another fantastic option for modernizing your property. Your rental’s front door, in particular, adds substantially to the property’s curb appeal. Think about replacing an old or outdated door with something new and enticing, especially in a bright, complementary color. A stylish door can add the welcoming touch your rental needs to stay competitive in today’s rental market.
- Smart Locks, Thermostat, and More. Lastly, today’s modern rental homes include a range of smart upgrades, such as smart locks, smart thermostats, etc. These devices can be controlled from a smartphone and assist in enhancing the security and efficiency of any property. Your tenants will appreciate the convenience and savings, and you will appreciate the boost in rental rates and property values you’ll probably get as a result.
Would you like to know more about quick and affordable ways to update your rental property? Give Real Property Management Beacon a call! Our Enfield property management team helps rental property owners like you create and maintain profitable rental homes. Contact us online for more information.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.